During the week at Ixquic Spanish School there are activities that probably have cost and require a minimum of students. These activities include sporting activities like playing football or basketball, bicycle or motorbike riding to small villages near La Antigua Guatemala, horseback riding or taking classes of Salsa, Merengue or Bachata.
Excursions plan by our Spanish School are to discover the Guatemala’s history, culture and surrounding landscapes of Antigua Guatemala can be done every day. These have a cost of transportation that may vary, the students will pay the price of entrance and food if necessary.
There are excursions to different locations near La Antigua Guatemala and they are being repeated every week with a minimum of students required. Here are some examples:
- Excursion to the Volcano Pacaya
- Butterfly site
- Maya Matrimonial ceremony in San Antonio Aguas Calientes
- Visit to the museums of Antigua
- House of the first Bishop of Guatemala Francisco Marroquin
For learning Spanish
We have a number of different and exciting free activities that will help you to practice and to understand better the Spanish language. (Some activities may require a minimum number of students)
- Cinema: View famous Guatemalan films. After each screening there will be discussions and questions introducing new vocabulary.
- City Walking Tour: Each Monday we tour the City of La Antigua Guatemala pointing out essential places such as banks, ATMs, market, mall, and highlighting cultural and historical sites.
- Cooking Classes: we show you how to cook some traditional dishes of Guatemala. Our specialty, Pepian, a recipe handed down from mother to daughter is our favorite and is considered part of Guatemala’s cultural heritage.
- Coffee Plantation tour: in this tour you will learn about La Antigua Guatemala’s famous coffee and the care and preparation involved in producing it.
- Market tour: a walking tour to the market where you can enjoy the spectacle of indigenous people wearing colorful and traditional regional dress selling their own produce and hand crafted goods.
- Cerro de la Cruz: a walking tour to the Cerro de la Cruz, a hill north of the city offering the best view of La Antigua Guatemala for taking photos.
Ixquic Spanish School recommend you that another way to maximize your educational experience is to immerse yourself by volunteering at one of the many local projects that help to support and educate La Antigua Guatemala’s unfortunate, orphaned and abandoned children. We will be happy to introduce you to the wide variety of charitable organizations in the area, and to help you to get involved in one that is right for you! This way you can make a big difference while adding richness and fulfillment to your experience.